Monday, June 15, 2009

First Day in Israel, part 1

We’ve checked in to the Kinar Classic hotel on the shores of Lake Kinneret. Something like 90 women, from Minneapolis, Cleveland, Atlanta, and Ottowa. Long drive from the airport to the hotel, scenery narrated by Rabbi Ken Spiro. Very interesting, especially seeing the barrier we’ve heard so much about-- not so much a wall (except at one point), more like a chain link fence with electric sensors, but we are all so tired we can barely keep our eyes open. Several of the women are quite nauseated. Thank goodness I am not one of them. I don’t do nausea very well.

My Uncle Ilan was waiting to meet me at the airport- I burst into tears when he tapped me on the shoulder and I turned around and saw it was him. He doesn’t live far, but still-- it was an amazingly thoughtful thing to do. He got mad at me that Patrick and I had booked a room at the Hilton Tel Aviv-- “What, my house is not good?” I didn’t want to inconvenience him, but I will be glad to save the points for another time and we will stay with him.

I had an email waiting for me from Patrick when I landed. I read it and also cried. Did I mention I cried when we touched down? Clapping and crying, crazy girl. My plane companion (I was in seat 27F, the middle of the middle of the row, blech) was this adorable old woman who kept up a pretty good conversation off and on the entire flight. I slept for about 4 hours over the course of the 10 hour flight, but in between we chatted. Turns out she lives in Bala Cynwyd, where I have been staying for the past 6 months while I worked in Philly. Too bad we’re not working there anymore, or I would have gotten her name and made sure to see her the next time I was there.
We arrived at the hotel and had a light lunch- classic Israeli food: cut up salad veggies and fruit, olives, tuna salad, egg salad, yogurts, and cheese. It’s now 1 pm (or 5 am the way my body feels) and we have until 3 pm. Tanya is at the beach/pool- which I have no desire to do. Me and sun, not so good friends. I really think I can feel my skin burning sometimes. I’m done blogging, now I’m going to read a bit and rest, but not sleep.

I miss you, honey. Keep the emails coming.

BD

No comments:

Post a Comment