Sunday, June 28, 2009

Lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer

One of my favorite things to do on vacation is nothing. Absolutely nothing. Take a day and not tour, not sightsee, not shop. It's definitely one of my favorite things to do in Israel in the summer. It is so hot here, during the heat of the day you can turn into an instant puddle when you walk outside.

We spent the entire day sitting around in Ilan's house, chatting, noshing occasionally, taking naps in the mid-afternoon heat. It was delightfully decadent. No schedule. No pressure.

Late tonight, Aviyam came and met us, and we drove to Tel Aviv's Neve Tzedek neighborhood. It felt like a combination of South Beach and Santa Barbara. Located right next to Tel Aviv's financial district with lots of bank buildings and skyscrapers, it is a neighborhood of single-story dwellings, boho-chic shops and cafes, and trendy restaurants. Almost every shop has a chandelier or some other sparkly adornments. I loved it. I could live there.... except that we saw a real-estate shop with prices in the window. 100 sq meters for 500,000$! 260 sq meters with 4 bedrooms for 7 million NIS ( divide by 4 for the number of US dollars.... I cannot bring myself to do it). A dream deferred.

Had a bit of sushi and some gelato, wandered around (Patrick found a mezuzah for the basement that he liked) and came back around 12:30. I liked hanging out with Yami. I wish I could get him to take a picture where he doesn't look like he's from Hamas, though. Just wait until I can post pics. You'll see.

BD

No comments:

Post a Comment