Saturday, June 20, 2009

Shabbat in Jerusalem

For twenty four hours I did not turn on this computer. I did not turn on a light. I did not write a word. Why? It was Shabbat.

I don't normally keep Shabbat. I rationalize it by saying I have errands, or I have to get stuff done since I work out of town, or I just don't want to. But I have to say, this was a really interesting experience. I didn't keep Shabbat fully- I'm not going to get into the specifics of the 39 categories of work you cannot do on Shabbat, but I tore toilet paper, I rode in an elevator, I took a cab because walking 75 minutes in the Jerusalem heat was not something I felt I could do. However, I felt like I kept the spirit of Shabbat. I felt like it was a day separate in time from the rest, when I feverishly take notes in every class, spend tons of time on the computer, and fill my life with the mundane. This was very special, and I will not forget it.

BD

No comments:

Post a Comment